Delicious Spring Rolls can be made with just about anything like Chicken, Pork, Beef, Shrimp or all Veg. The key to a delicious Spring Roll is to use flavorful ingredients like Chinese 5 Spice (found in most Markets these days) which is a blend of aromatic and spicy flavors like no other. Fresh Ginger is also important because it provides an Amazing background flavor that is unmistakable in Spring Rolls. The secret ingredient in my Chicken Spring Rolls is creamy Peanut Butter. Yes, Peanut Butter. It gives a flavor component that compliments all of the Spices and Veg perfectly without tasting like Peanut Butter. Your guest may ask what is that unique flavor. When you are Cooking The Amazing a secret ingredient will make your Chicken Spring Rolls the best you've ever eaten.
Here is the recipe.
25 Spring Roll Wraps, Thawed
6 c Finely Shredded Green Cabbage
1/2 c Finely Diced Carrot
1/2 c Finely Diced Green Onion
1/2 c Finely Chopped Fresh Cilantro
2 Finely Chopped Cloves Of Garlic
3 T Soy Sauce
3 T Grated Fresh Ginger
1 T Chinese Five Spice
1/2 c Creamy Peanut Butter
1 lb Ground Chicken
2 T Olive Oil
1 t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Vegetable Oil For Frying
Water For Sealing Spring Roll Wraps
Makes about 12 Spring Rolls
1. Thaw out your frozen Spring Roll wraps , if frozen, in the refrigerator. Finely grate the fresh Ginger after peeling it first. Prep and chop/dice all of your Veg, Herbs and measure all of your Spices, Peanut Butter and Soy before touching the Chicken to avoid contamination. Set all prep aside.
2. Over medium high heat put 2 T Olive Oil in a large pan. Once the Olive Oil is hot add the Ground Chicken and cook all the way through using a spoon to break it up into small pieces. This takes about 7-9 minutes.
3. Once cooked, reduced the heat to medium and add everything but the Cabbage and Spring Roll wraps. Stir well cooking for 3 minutes distributing the Spices, Peanut Butter, Ginger, Veg and Herbs together with the Chicken.
4. Add all the Cabbage and incorporate with the Chicken and Veg mixture and stir constantly for 5 minutes while the Cabbage cooks down. The Cabbage should still have some crispness to it.
5. Taste and correct for seasoning adding Salt or more Spices to suit your tastes. Set aside to cool some.
6. Use 2 Spring Roll Wraps for each Roll because 1 is too thin and not strong enough. Lay 2 Wraps stacked on each other flat on a board or the counter. Have a small dish of cold Water next to where you are working. Dip your fingers into the Water and run it along the entire outer edge of the Wrap. Moisten about a 1 inch border all the way around.
7. Spoon about 1/2 c of the cooled (but still warm) Chicken and Cabbage mixture onto the lower 1/2 of the Wrap leaving about 3 inches from the lower edge.
8. Roll up the lower 1/3 rd of the Wrap over the mixture holding it in place with your fingers.
9. Fold in both sides about 2 inches toward the middle of the roll and hold them in place. Moisten underneath the folded sides with Water so the sides will stick to the roll.
10. Tightly roll towards the top of the Wrap. Use your fingers and dip them into the Water and apply a small amount of Water to the top of the Roll that will meet the end of the Wrap to help form a seal.
11. Complete by rolling to the edge and place sealed edge down on a platter or plate and continue to roll the rest of your Spring Rolls.
12. Add enough Vegetable Oil to come 3/4 way up the sides of your Spring Rolls to a deep pot or deep fryer. Preheat the Oil to 375 degrees. Be sure your oil is hot before adding Spring Rolls or they will soak up Oil and be greasy not crispy when done. Fry for 3 minutes on one side then flip and fry the other side for 3 minutes more. Don't over crowd the pan or this will reduce the temperature of the Oil. Fry in 2-3 batches depending on the size of your pot or fryer.
13. Remove the cooked Spring Rolls and drain on paper towels and allow to cool just a little before eating.
COPYRIGHT (c) 2012